We’re lucky to know Cristina Beesemyer, a US ex-pat living in London whose favourite holiday is still Thanksgiving. Here’s one of her personal specialities – mashed potato with a difference. And as all Thanksgiving fans know, the mash is as important as the bird. Cristina says, ’I have been preparing these potatoes for Thanksgiving for over 30 years… fail proof, delicious and can be made one day ahead.’
Serves from 6 to 8 people.
- 4lb (approx 2Kg) peeled King Edwards potatoes – or similar good mashers
- 1/2 cup double cream
- 1/4 cup grated onion
- 1 medium white onion
- 3/4 cup of unsalted butter at room temperature
- 4 x eggs – separated
- Cream of tartar
- Salt and pepper to taste (white or black pepper depending on your taste buds)
- 1 small or half medium onion, thinly sliced
- Melted butter for brushing
- Boil potatoes, mash then add the cream, grated onion and stir in butter along with 2 of the egg yokes, salt and pepper.
- Beat the 4 egg whites, adding a pinch of cream tartar and of salt, then fold the stiffened mixture into the mashed potatoes.
- Place mixture into a buttered1 1/2 quart souffle dish. Cover with thinly sliced onions and brush with melted butter. You can make this the day before and refrigerate at this point. If refrigerating remove at least1 hour before cooking.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 180C, gas mark 4 or 350F. Make sure top has a slightly browned crust.